"permalin" <$BlogRSDUrl$>
Baby, the Stars Shine Brite

The secret life of a girl.the strange confessions and dirty little secrets of a girl.

We'll always be together
8.7.06

Building Castles in the Sky 
There's this interesting thing: although I am getting married for various political (legal) and social reasons ... I must admit, I do not believe in this institution we call marriage.
Let us not forget, when marriage is presented in a religious concept in the most of the world we are talking about something springing from a Judeo-Christian foundation: which was based on the ownership of women by a certain man.
I do not believe I should be owned. I believe I should stand on my own two feet before any god or social entity. - At the same time I realize for many reasons not have designated someone who shares my values and respects me as a person able to stand in for me and make desions when I am not capable, will hurt me.

Civil marriage evolved, like so many things, in Greece where it was necessary since women were considered so far below men they needed incentive to keep the race going. Okay - so maybe in actuality things weren't THAT terrible, the but idea is nonetheless that and that violent. This is where the idea of civilly arranging those who are less than human (women or children) with men to make them count (almost as chattel) as a society originated.
I also do not see myself as a slave - and I do not want to be a "wife."

What I do seek - and what I think many seek who choose marriage is to be and to have a partner. (I afterall do not want a Husband.) That being said I do not think the institution of marriage can be completely divorced from its orgins. Afterall, a mere fifty years ago marriage was quite simply life - nearly necessary for economic survival, right along with domestic violence (afterall, husbands have a right to discipline their wives... What did you do to deserve it?) and compulsory motherhood.

individuals do of course divorce their marriage and their ideas from these concepts, claiming history is history, they exist completely outside of society, etc. This is, quite frankly, bullshit. We are ALL culturally influenced and constructed. Our institutions are as well. The only way for us to change the institution of marriage into a fully-human institution is to allow marriages between equals: rather than keep the basis on the inequality of male-female alliance. Therefore, until gay marriage is accept universally, one cannot separate marriage from what it always has been.

This does not mean however that individuals cannot do their part for whatever reason enter into a civil marriage and strive to create partners in lieu of Husband and wife.

posted by Tragic the Pixie @ 7/08/2006 12:53:00 AM

Post a Comment | 0 comments


Comments :


Return to Main Journal
411
"Father Forgive Me" (later renamed "Baby, the Stars Shine Brite") was started in the hope that a confessional blog would be entertaining reading as well as intellectual. After being neglected for some years is now, rather anonymously written in the hopes of hashing out thoughts in a somewhat intelligent manner. Aside from the writer of this blog, I am a university student majoring in Women's Studies and minoring in English at a prominent Catholic university in Middle America. A dedicated liberal - I also throw and participate fully in raves and rave culture from DJing, to lights and sound crew, to doing homework in legal libraries I'll be there - in true Riot Grrrl style: usually a miniskirt, combat boots, and wildly dyed hair. Aside from considering law school and entering politics I hope to start an organization wherever I end up providing a safe place for teenage girls (and boys) and helping their voices be heard as well as providing information on sex, condoms, and anything under the sun that kids may need. I am currently engaged to a wonderful man and hope to be married sometime around November of 2008.
Together in electric dreams
Currents
Book: How the Pro-Choice Movement Saved America Freedom Politics and the War on Sex (Christina Page)
Music: The Valley of the Shadow of Death: The Tossers
Film: Pan's Labyrinth
Nothing in the world can touch us
Previous Posts
  • The Secret Rules of Engagement
  • Yes - You're Damn Right I'm Angry..
  • Fox News is Retarded.
  • The Marriage Trap
  • I hope she will be a fool that's the best thing a ...
  • I Ain't Gonna Credit You!
  • A Word of Caution
  • Something for your heart, your spirit, and your so...
  • Placebo Lyric Lovesong
  • All We Do Is Rave

  • I'm gonna be forever young
    Links
    My Other Projects:
    Myspace Profile
    Bibliophile: Because Reading Is Sexy
    Blogs:
    AMERICAblog
    Daily Kos
    DARE Generation Diary
    Echidne of the Snakes
    Bitch, PHD.
    mamaVISION
    Reappropriate
    Raising Yousuf
    Swedish Sloth
    Feminist Blogs
    Message Boards/Communites:
    get crafty
    St. Louis Raver
    Punk Rock Domestics
    Zines & Publications:
    BUST
    Bitch
    Digs Magazine
    hip mama
    Mother Jones
    The Nation
    Witch Eye
    Feminista!
    Other Good Sites:
    T.A.Z.
    Burning Man
    Disgruntled Housewife
    Digitally Imported
    Disinformation
    Kandi Trade
    Nerve
    Pax Acidus
    The Post Punk Kitchen
    Grrrlgamer
    Scarlet Letters
    STL Craft Mafia
    The Internet Sacred Text Archive
    Do you really want to live forever, forever, and ever?














    do really want to be forever young?
    Archives
    Credits
    Author: TragicPixie
    Image by Mizuno Junko
    Image Hosting by Photobucket.

    Powered by Blogger